Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Assignment


I've joined an art journal group (ok, more than one) ... but the "assignment" of journaling about a favorite prayer grabbed me, immediately. So ... here's what I sat tonight & created. If I do say so myself, I like what I did!

I've often realized that growing up in the church I did, I've felt "more" tolerant of things ... and, I've understood that we were taught - both at church & at home - to do things in moderation, to understand that God loves us, no matter what. I remember well - but probably not often enough - the overwhelming sense of peace I've always felt, sitting in those pews. Our church isn't big ... it's warm, welcoming. And I could always look up at one of the crossbeams & smile with pride, knowing my life began there, that my parents were always involved, that our family was always there. I remember my dad being confirmed when I was (what an awesome experience!) ... the loving grace our minister laid out to all of us ... the hymns sung in joy & with full voice by everyone. My dad was buried from this church ... what bittersweet memories. "When the Saints Go Marching In" resounded through the church as his casket was taken out ... the pride I felt at being one of his pallbearers ... Wow ... what memories are sitting here, flooding through my heart ...

6 comments:

Renee said...

How cool!!! What wonderful memories too!! And that's great you've found a group to enable you with more journaling!! :)

Milly~ said...

That is so neat Nancy. Glad you've found this creative outlet.

purplepaint said...

This is great! Can't wait to see more!

kazumiwannabe said...

Nice drawing and journaling - this is a great way to celebrate life and memories... Welcome to EDM!

Deb said...

What a beautiful journal page!
Welcome to EDM!

Pumpkin said...

That's beautiful Nancy. What wonderful memories you have put to paper, both visually and with your words :o)