Monday, September 15, 2008

good ol' Ike




What a bizarre day yesterday was!! We had 30-75 mph winds yesterday (thanks, Ike). Our development never lost power (yea!) though it seems everywhere around us did. Our office has partial power & no internet. About half of us showed up for work this morning (though I waited until I knew we had power), but were sent home at 11 since everything was so hit & miss. Over half of our county is without power, trees are down everywhere, 1 out of 3 traffic signals aren't working ... It's truly a mess! Thankfully, the weather has cooled off so that's another blessing. Many schools are closed, some stores are ... (The 2 pictures from our neighborhood are of the smoke that enveloped us in the afternoon. I still don't know what was on fire, but something was - enclosing us in smoke & the smell of wood burning.)

My mom's car was a casualty of the wind last night. She was at church for a dinner & though they lost power while they were eating, no one thought anything about it ... until someone heard the crash. A huge limb fell on Mom's car. Fortunately, it didn't do a lot of damage - didn't break anything but made lots of dents all over & left her car covered with tree sap & sawdust.

Never boring here!

4 comments:

Pumpkin said...

Wow! Really? We've had wind and humid weather today. Nothing near to what you're getting. I think Nova Scotia is the one getting hit up here.

Sorry to hear about your mom's car :o(

Beth said...

Glad to hear you are okay - I am going to post about how Ike has affected us.

Take care
Beth

Old Yankee Stitcher said...

So glad you were spared the worst of it. CJ(ok;-)

Sandy said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's car. I hope she has insurance and can get it fixed.

I love your page you made. Great job.

I know all about those high winds. They're not fun. I guess I'm just more used to it after having gone through so many of them now. It's the thunderstorm, lightening and tornados that make me nervous.

Glad ya'll were safe.